We only pick products we trust, based on independent research by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may receive a commission to create new content for you.
Most Graco Pack n Plays are equipped with a thin floor pad that provides an easy-to-clean space for toddlers to play. Want to turn a pack ‘n’ play into a real bed for your baby? Are you looking for a safe and comfy way to keep your little one close to you? If you’re using the playpen as a place for your baby or toddler to nap or sleep while at home or on vacation, you want to consider a Pack n Play mattress.
There are many high-quality mattresses available for Pack and Plays that offer young children a comfortable place to rest when a traditional crib is not available. To ensure that your little one experiences a restful sleep, we reviewed all available options on Amazon and carefully picked the top 5 pack and play mattresses to help you decide on the best choice for your family.
- Our Favorite Pack and Play Mattresses
- What to Consider When Selecting a Pack and Play Mattress
- Complete Review of The Best Pack and Play Mattresses
- Lullabybot’s Top Pick: Hiccapop Pack and Play Memory Foam Mattress
- Most Popular: Dream On Me Foam Pack and Play Mattress Review
- For Easy Pack and Travel: NapYou Pack n Play Mattress Fold and Go
- Looking for a Breathable Mattress: Dreamcountry Foldable Memory Foam Pack n Play Mattress Pad
- Soft Mattress: Milliard Memory Foam Pack and Play Mattress Topper Review
- Pack and Play Mattress FAQs
Our Favorite Pack and Play Mattresses
Hiccapop Pack and Play Memory Foam Mattress
This dual-sided mattress is designed to grow with your baby from infancy to childhood. With a removable waterproof cover, it is more likely to last that long!
Dream On Me Foam Pack and Play Mattress
With almost 2000 five stars reviews on Amazon, the GreenGuard Certified Dream On Me Foam Pack and Play Mattress is one that has been used and loved by many parents.
NapYou Pack ‘n’ Play Mattress Fold and Go
The organic cotton NapYou Pack ‘n’ Play mattress can be folded up for use on the go and is thinner than other pack ‘n’ play mattresses to double up as a safe sleeping mat.
Breathable Pack n Play Mattress
Dreamcountry Foldable Memory Foam Pack and Play Mattress Pad
This ‘not too soft, not too hard’ portable pack n play mattress is made specifically to fit certain pack and plays, the bag provided with this mattress makes it easy to transport and use when you’re away from home.
Milliard Memory Foam Pack and Play Mattress Topper
A portable pack and play mattress that can easily be moved around and stored; this mattress is the most affordable of those that we have reviewed without a compromise on the quality.
You can read below our notes for each of these pack n play mattresses.
What to Consider When Selecting a Pack and Play Mattress
Do pack and plays come with a mattress?
No, just the firm pad that comes with the pack and play. It doesn’t matter what brand the pack and play is, it happens on Graco and other brands.I recommend a pack and play mattress if you want your baby to have a bed to sleep on for the long term. The pad the playpen comes with is safe, but not comfortable at all. In fact, if you press a little bit you can feel the support bars.
Does a pack n play or a playpen ever need a mattress?
Some parents put their baby in a pack ‘n play in their room, to be as safe as possible from SIDS. But the pack ‘n play mattress is basically made of wood underneath and they want a more comfortable mattress for their little one. What we recommend is only to use the hard mattress of the playard because it leaves no gaps in the corners or edges. These gaps can cause entrapment and suffocation.
Yet, if you plan to use one, make sure there are no gaps on the sides. The mattress has to be firm, but it’s better than wood. Roll up a sheet and make sure everything is flat and fit tightly.
Will a Crib Mattress Fit in a Pack and Play?
As I told you in the answer above, there are specific mattresses for a pack and play. Crib mattresses don’t have the standard size of a pack and play and so cannot be fitted into it. They are bigger and in general, when using a baby bed, the rule of thumb is that the mattress should fit perfectly, it is the safest thing for your baby. That said, don’t worry because it’s easy to get very good mattresses on the market with the exact dimensions of the pack and play, especially for the Graco brand. Read our complete reviews of the best mattresses below.
Is there a mattress for Pack n Play?
Your child’s pack n play can transform into a convenient, portable, and functional bed with the addition of a mattress. This can simplify traveling with your child as well as providing you with an excellent solution for keeping your baby in your room for a little while longer. Pack and play’s come with a thin, hard mattress that is great for playtime, but less ideal for sleeping on it. If you’re hoping to use your pack n play as a bed for your child, the addition of a memory foam mattress will ensure comfort and give everyone a better night of sleep.
What to Look for in a Pack n Play Mattress?
- Size: One of the biggest things that separate a Pack and Play mattress from your average child’s mattress is size. Most Pack and Play mattresses range from 1 to 3 inches in thickness and are shorter and narrower than standard crib mattresses.
- Materials: Look at what materials the mattress is made out of. Many Graco Pack and Play mattresses are composed of foam to create a comfy, yet firm sleeping surface.
- Cover: Choose a mattress covering made from a waterproof and easy-to-clean material, such as vinyl.
- Lightweight: Parents often use Pack and Plays when traveling. Ensure that the mattress is fairly lightweight to make transport a breeze.
Complete Review of The Best Pack and Play Mattresses
Lullabybot’s Top Pick: Hiccapop Pack and Play Memory Foam Mattress
Hiccapop Pack and Play Memory Foam Mattress
Dimensions: 38 x 26 x 2.25 inchesCheck Price on Amazon
This pack and play mattress is absolutely the first choice for many parents. It is unique in offering two sides, a firmer one for babies up to 9 months, and a softer one for older ages. With excellent quality materials and attention to detail (we love its rounded corners that fit perfectly with a Graco Pack and Play), its not surprising that this mattress is rated top by customers on Amazon.
The comfy mattress is constructed of CertiPUR Memory Foam making it soft enough for a baby while also being firm for safety reasons. The resilient jaquard cover is waterproof and tear-resistant to ensure many years of use. The flat surface design has no straps or buckles to ensure that it’s safe for use by infants. This mattress has also met or exceeded all quality and durability testing, and does not have toxic fire retardants.
- Well, there’ s no other crib mattress with a better score on Amazon. It was 4.9 in our last visit and over 800 buyer reviews.
- Dual-sided to allow the mattress to grow with your child – one side is firmer for babies and infants, while the other is softer for toddlers and older children.
- Softer toddler side features CertiPUR foam.
- Thicker than standard mattresses for extra comfort.
- Removable waterproof cover for easy cleaning.
- Really hard to find any problem. Just keep the size matching your pack n play, like any other baby mattress.
- “Only Buy This Mattress is a Life Saver.”
- ” I sleep better knowing that he is more comfortable. Great product!”
Most Popular: Dream On Me Foam Pack and Play Mattress Review
Dream On Me Foam Pack and Play Mattress Review
Dimensions: 37.5″ x 25.5″ x 3″Check Price on Amazon
The best Graco Pack n Play mattress should be lightweight, comfortable, but most of all affordable. The budget-friendly Dream On Me Foam Pack and Play Mattress is the ultimate option for Graco play yards measuring 25.5 inches wide by 37.5 inches long and 3 inches high. The plush 3-inch foam mattress is constructed from premium materials to create a cozy environment for babies and toddlers to play or nap.
The easy-to-maintain mattress is constructed of 90 percent foam and 10 percent vinyl, the perfect combination of comfort and function. The bacterial waterproof cover is easy to wipe clean and prevents your child from coming into contact with harmful germs. You can also rest assured that your baby is safe snoozing in their playpen as the mattress passes tests for lead, phthalate, and flammability.
- Almost 2000 5* reviews on Amazon – you can feel confident that the Dream On Me mattress is well-known and liked by parents.
- Made from antibacterial material, as well as waterproof lock stitch binding that prevents mold and mildew – unlike cotton bound alternatives.
- The waterproof cover makes the mattress easy to wipe clean.
- GreenGuard Certified product; a standard that ensures low chemical emissions.
- Some parents claim that the mattress is too firm.
- Fits perfect in my Graco pack n’ play.
- Yes, it’s firm, but it’s a vast improvement over the pad that comes with the PnP.
For Easy Pack and Travel: NapYou Pack n Play Mattress Fold and Go
NapYou Pack n Play Mattress Fold and Go
Dimensions: 37.5 x 26 x 1.5 inchesCheck Price on Amazon
Our portable choice for best mattress for Graco Pack n Play is the NapYou Pack n Play Mattress. After testing this product, we found it offers numerous advantages over its competitors. It’s the only Pack-n-Play mattress that can easily fold up for travel. It also includes a convenient travel bag for easy transport. It’s also hypoallergenic and free from harmful chemicals.
The mattress measures 26 inches wide by 37.5 inches long and fits snug in most Pack n Plays. This mattress is covered in a food-grade waterproof liner that is conveniently laminated to add extra protection to the mattress’s core. The cover also zips off for easy cleaning. But what really makes this mattress unique is that it’s very light and comes with its own carrying bag.
- Foldable pack ‘n’ play mattress with storage bag: a great bonus if you use your pack and play to travel.
- Organic pack and play mattress, made from organic cotton.
- Thin design allowing the mattress to be used as a sleeping mat safely.
- Some parents find it too firm
- It flattens out completely when you place it inside the travel crib!
- The carrying bag is great for travel.
Looking for a Breathable Mattress: Dreamcountry Foldable Memory Foam Pack n Play Mattress Pad
Dreamcountry Foldable Memory Foam Pack n Play Mattress Pad
Size: 38x26x3 inchesCheck Price on Amazon
- Made from CertiPUR foam.
- Removable polyester cover for easy washing.
- Foldable pack and play mattress with a storage bag.
- The seller claims that the mattress is ‘not too soft or too hard,’ and parental reviews seem to agree with this.
- It is a newer product and, therefore, does not have many reviews.
- Soft, safe, and easy to clean.
- I can honestly say this mattress is of high quality!
Soft Mattress: Milliard Memory Foam Pack and Play Mattress Topper Review
Milliard Memory Foam Pack and Play Mattress Topper Review
Size: 37.5 x 26 x 2 inchesCheck Price on Amazon
A quality mattress topper can enhance your child’s sleeping experience by providing an extra layer of plush foam atop their portable-crib mattress. After testing numerous mattress toppers, we found one of the best to be the Milliard Memory Foam Portable-Crib Mattress Topper. Measuring 26 inches by 38 inches, the mattress contours perfectly to your baby’s body for optimal comfort.
The versatile mattress is constructed of 2 inches thick 100 percent memory foam that will help your child get a better night’s sleep. There is a removable zippered waterproof cover over the mattress constructed of 65 percent cotton that is machine washable and dryable. The mattress topper is also easy to set up. It arrives vacuum sealed in a small box. Just unroll it and allow up to 48 hours for it to decompress.
- The Milliard memory foam mattress is the most affordable of those that we have compared.
- Hypoallergenic cover.
- Made from CertiPUR foam.
- Roll ‘n’ Carry feature for ease when traveling – roll and place the strap around the mattress for easy travel and storage.
- Ventilation holes to avoid mold and increase airflow.
- It has a chemical scent when first opened, but wears off after a few days.
- I purchased this memory foam mattress for our four-month-old son, and it is the BEST.
- I did a lot of research, and I found this!
Pack and Play Mattress FAQs
How do you clean a Pack ‘n Play mattress?
Here we offer three different ways to keep your playpen mattress completely clean.
- The first is to clean it with a baby wipe, it could remove stains. However, if you want to do a deep cleaning, you can soak it in a tub full of hot water with laundry soap, vinegar, and baking soda.
- Maybe you couldn’t get the smell of vinegar out and it drives you crazy. In this case, we recommend Oxi clean baby stain stainover spray or powder with no perfume. Simply fill your bathtub and soak the mattress if necessary. This option removes 99% of stains.
- The last option is quite simple. Just buy crib sheets for the baby playpen mattress and wash them whenever you need to.
If you want to do a deep cleaning at home of your pack and play, I recommend this video:
What age can you put a baby in a playpen?
The ideal age to use a playpen is six to eight months. At this age, most babies can sit, reach, and grab nearby toys. They are generally accepting, so you can leave them in the playpen (always staying close, of course) for a short period of time without the infant making too much fuss.
Babies this age also love new toys, so be sure to put something in the playpen with them. Don’t try to tie toys to the sides or top of a playpen, such as ropes or chains that can present a suffocation hazard to babies.
When your child is eight to ten months old, he or she will probably be crawling and even standing up. For this reason, he may be tired of being in the playpen. He’ll want to explore a larger area and might even stand in the playpen and cry if you don’t take him out. Keep her happy in the playpen by providing new toys she hadn’t seen before.
You may well start to stop using the pack n play once your baby can walk. He will likely protest loudly once he can walk if you try to confine him to a small space.